Harrington St. cemetery

The Jewish cemetery in Hobart was established after a request by Bernard Walford in 1828. Walford was the first burial there, also in 1828. The ground was used for burials until 1871, when the city consolidated many smaller cemeteries to the new Cornelian Bay cemetery. The land was sold to the city of Hobart in 1945. Some deceased and other remains that were found were reinterred at Cornelian Bay. At the site is now public housing, named Walford Terraces.
Bernard Walford
     
Loading...